Sister Annette Champigny, RDC (formerly as Sr. Mary Raphael), a member of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion, died on May 12, 2007 in Dobbs Ferry Hospital. Sr. Annette was born October 15, 1925 in Lynn, MA, the daughter of Arthur J. and Berta V. Bourgeois Champigny. Sister Annette entered the Congregation of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion in September 1948 and made final profession March 6, 1954. Sister Annette attended both Elementary and High School at St. Jean the Baptist in Lynn, MA. She received her B.A. degree in 1948 from Good Counsel College in White Plains and an M.A. degree in French in 1967 from St. John's University, Jamaica, New York. Sister Annette began her long and devoted teaching career at Good Counsel Elementary School in 1951. From 1952 to 1955 she taught at St. Lawrence O'Toole Elementary School, Brewster, New York; 1955-56 St. Joseph's Elementary School in Croton Falls. After recovering from serious injuries following an accident which took the lives of three Religious of the Divine Compassion who taught at St. Joseph's, Sr. Annette was assigned to St. John's School in Mahopac. From 1959-63 Sister taught at Preston High School, Bronx, NY and from 1963-1985 at Kennedy Catholic High School in Somers, NY. After her retirement from teaching, Sister Annette served as a Pastoral Counselor at Somers Manor Nursing Home until 1992. Sr. Alice Feeley, President of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion said that "Sr. Annette's students knew what it was to enjoy learning, and our community was strengthened by her kindness and faith." Sr. Annette is survived by her sister, Flora Muise of Lynn, MA. She was predeceased by 14 brothers and sisters, Alice Comeau, Edward Champigny of Lynn, MA, Jeanette Douglas, Lynchburg, VA., Rose LaBua, Methuen, MA, Cecile MacKenzie, Rochester, NH, Alfred Champigny, Joseph Champigny, Clarisse Champigny, Clara Champigny, Irene Lavoie, Bertha Perreault, Emile Champigny, Robert Champigny and Arthur Champigny.
Annette in her early teaching days
Annette at a Campus Reunion (in the center)