Sr. Mary Angelica Hewson, RDC (formerly known as Dorothy M. Hewson), a member of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion, died peacefully on July 30, 2010 at Good Counsel Convent in White Plains.
Sister Angelica was born in New York on January 26, 1926 the daughter of Thomas Hewson and Agnes (McCormack) Hewson. She entered the Sisters of the Divine Compassion in 1944 and professed her final vows in 1950.
Sister Angelica attended St. Margaret Mary Elementary School and graduated from Mt. St. Ursula Academy in the Bronx. Sister received the B.A. degree from Good Counsel College and an M.A. in Guidance from Seton Hall University. She also received an M.S. in Social Work from Columbia University.
From 1947-1981 Sister Angelica was a much revered Latin teacher at Our Lady of Good Counsel Academy. From 1982-1986 Sister was a Social Worker at Kings Harbor Care Center where she became Director of Social Services until her retirement.
After retirement Sister Angelica’s devotion to Good Counsel gave her a new ministry of prayer and presence among her Sisters.
Sister Susan Merritt, President of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion commented, "Sister Mary Angelica was a faithful friend to so many people throughout her life, and to the end through correspondence and telephone. She will be missed by so many."
Sister is survived by her Sisters of the Divine Compassion, her sisters, Mrs. Jane McIntyre, Mrs. Ruth Farabaugh and many nieces and nephews.
Angelica with Terry Young in the Sisters' dining room at Good Counsel
Angelica with Theresa Kelley